Frequently Asked Questions About Our Richmond Heights Acupuncture
If you're hearing about the remarkable benefits of acupuncture from friends or co-workers, you may be wondering how this ancient healing technique might help you. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about our Richmond Heights acupuncture services at McIntyre Chiropractic & Acupuncture Centre.
- What is acupuncture? Acupuncture is the practice of inserting extremely thin needles just under the skin ("needling") to address a wide range of health problems, from acute or chronic pain to systemic illnesses. This technique, which is associated with Traditional Chinese Medicine, has been relieving symptoms for thousands of years -- and is still as popular as ever with modern practitioners of natural treatments.
- How does Traditional Chinese Medicine approach acupuncture? Traditional Chinese medicine states the body's Qi, or life energy flows along several major channels known as meridians. When the flow is disrupted, pain and sickness result. Needling at specific acupuncture points along the meridians can normalize the Qi flow, relieving pain and restoring health.
- What are the modern Western medical explanations for acupuncture's effectiveness? Modern medicine equates Qi flow with nerve signals, which run through the nervous system just as Qi flows along meridians. Studies indicate that needling changes the behavior of neural clusters and "pain gateways" at specific points in the body, at the same time stimulating the production of natural painkillers called endorphins.
- What conditions do you treat with acupuncture? Acupuncture's analgesic qualities make it a great way to enjoy safe, drug-free relief from acute injury pain or chronic pain conditions such as arthritis, sciatica or TMJ. Since the acupuncture needles can improve nerve signaling throughout the body, acupuncture also works well as a treatment for systemic afflictions ranging from digestive and reproductive disorders to immune system impairment.
- Is acupuncture painful? If you're worried about the use of needles in acupuncture, rest assured that acupuncture is not painful. You might briefly feel the needles entering the skin, but these hair-fine devices cause no sensation at all once they're inserted -- except, of course, relief from your symptoms.
- What can I expect from my Richmond Heights acupuncture sessions? While an acupuncture session usually takes less than half an hour, your initial sessions may take longer, which includes all the essential evaluations necessary to administer the proper treatment, may take longer. Multiple sessions may be necessary to obtain best results. You also get more out of your acupuncture sessions if you rest up and avoid caffeine or alcohol beforehand.
Acupuncture in Richmond Heights, Webster Groves, Creve Coeur and St. Louis
If you're intrigued by the tremendous healing and pain-relief potential of acupuncture in Richmond Heights, Webster Groves, Creve Coeur or St. Louis, the best way to discover more about this form of care is to experience it for yourself. Call McIntyre Chiropractic & Acupuncture Centre at 314-644-7776 to get the details and find out whether acupuncture holds the answers to your particular health issues!